Root meaning: The ability to express your will without any impediment or obstacle; “to do your will” (T-30.II.2:1).
Conventional: The ability of your body to say and do whatever you want without impediment or obstacle (see T-22.VI.1-2).
ACIM: The ability of the mind to express its will to love and join, without the obstruction of the ego (which is an alien will).
- True freedom is our natural state in Heaven, where our will to love extends infinitely outward without any hindrance whatsoever (see creation and extension).
- We are not free to change this native state, only to deny it.
- This world is a state of imprisonment, in which we seem to be imprisoned by the body (see W-pI.199.1) and by external circumstances.
- Yet the real imprisonment here is being a slave, a hostage, to the ego; obeying its alien will. Bondage to the ego results in guilt, which is imprisoning, for guilt says we deserve imprisonment.
- In this world our only remaining freedom is the freedom of choice (see T-12.VII.9:1, C-1.7:1), the choice between the ego and the Holy Spirit.
- We find our freedom through freeing our brothers from guilt. Conversely, finding our own freedom enables us to free the world.